This forum is now read-only. Support is provided at https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/sermon-browser/
This API service is currently in alpha, and is available for testing purposes only. It is not ready to be used in a production environment.
If you're a programmer, or use a special plugin, adding ESV Bible text to your website is easy - thanks to the ESV API. But what if you don't wish to use the ESV, or if your website readers do not speak English? I'm therefore developing an API that will allow easy access to as many different versions and langauges as possible. The whole Bible is available in 53 versions, the New Testament in a further 13, plus 4 editions of the Greek NT, 6 of the Hebrew Old Testament, and 2 of the LXX. Additionally, a handful of versions have smaller portions available. in The service is currently in alpha, and is available for testing.
Accessing the services
To access the service, you make a HTTP GET request, like this one: http://api.preachingcentral.co.....ersion=kjv
The service will return an XML file like this:
<bible> <title>Jn3:16</title> <range> <request>Jn3:16</request> <result>John 3:16</result> <item> <bookname>John</bookname> <chapter>3</chapter> <verse>16</verse> <text>For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.</text> </item> </range> <time>0.117</time> </bible>
The format is deliberately similar to that provided by the NET Bible web service, to allow existing code to be reused.
There are just two parameters available, both are self-explanatory, passage and version.
Passage is required, and can take many forms. The following are all valid:
Version is optional, and if omitted the KJV is provided by default. A full list of versions currently supported is available below.
- During the testing period you are not restricted in how many lookups you can request. Once the testing period is over, it is likely that a limit of 5,000 requests per user per day will be put in place.
- A maximum of 500 verses per request will be returned.
- All of the texts currently available are in the public domain, so there are no restrictions on how the results can be stored or used.
The main areas for development will be:
- Identifying and solving bugs.
- Better language support (for example, all book names are currently returned in English).
- Increasing versions available, hopefully to include modern translations.
The following versions are currently available (all of them provided by The Unbound Bible). The code to pass as the version parameter is shown in brackets.
- Afrikaans 1953 (afrikaans)
- Albanian (albanian)
- Amharic NT (amharic)
- Arabic: Smith & Van Dyke (smith-vandyke)
- Aramaic NT: Peshitta (peshitta)
- Armenian (Eastern): (Genesis, Exodus, Gospels) (easternarmenian)
- Armenian (Western): NT (westernarmenian)
- Basque (Navarro-Labourdin): NT (basque)
- Breton Gospels (breton)
- Chamorro (Psalms, Gospels, Acts) (chamorro)
- Chinese: NCV (Simplified) (chinese-ncv-simplifi)
- Chinese: NCV (Traditional) (chinese-ncv-traditio)
- Chinese: Union (Simplified) (union-simplified)
- Chinese: Union (Traditional) (union-traditional)
- Coptic: Bohairic NT (bohairic)
- Coptic: New Testament (coptic)
- Coptic: Sahidic NT (sahidic)
- Croatian (croatia)
- Czech BKR (bkr)
- Czech KMS (kms)
- Czech NKB (nkb)
- Danish (danish)
- Dutch Staten Vertaling (statenvertaling)
- English: Douay-Rheims (douayrheims)
- English: King James Version (kjv)
- Esperanto (esperanto)
- Estonian (estonian)
- Finnish: Bible (1776) (finnish1776)
- Finnish: PyhÃ¤ Raamattu (1933/1938) (pyharaamattu1933)
- Finnish: PyhÃ¤ Raamattu (1992) (pyharaamattu)
- French: Darby (darby)
- French: Louis Segond (1910) (ls1910)
- French: Martin (1744) (martin)
- French: Ostervald (1996 revision) (ostervald)
- Georgian (Gospels, Acts, James) (georgian)
- German: Elberfelder (1871) (elberfelder)
- German: Elberfelder (1905) (elberfelder1905)
- German: Luther (1545) (luther1545)
- German: Luther (1912) (luther1912)
- German: Schlachter (1951) (schlachter)
- Gothic (Nehemiah, NT Portions) (gothic)
- Greek NT: Byzantine/Majority Text (2000) (byzantine)
- Greek NT: Textus Receptus (1550/1894) (textusreceptus)
- Greek NT: Tischendorf 8th Ed. (tischendorf)
- Greek NT: Westcott/Hort, UBS4 variants (westcott)
- Greek OT: LXX [A] Accented (lxx)
- Greek OT: LXX [A] Unaccented (lxx-noaccents)
- Greek: Modern (moderngreek)
- Hebrew OT: Aleppo Codex (aleppo)
- Hebrew OT: BHS (Consonants & Vowels) (bhs)
- Hebrew OT: BHS (Consonants Only) (bhs-novowels)
- Hebrew OT: Westminster Leningrad Codex (wlc)
- Hebrew OT: WLC (Consonants & Vowels) (wlc2)
- Hebrew OT: WLC (Consonants Only) (wlc-novowels)
- Hebrew: Modern (modernhebrew)
- Italian: Giovanni Diodati Bible (1649) (giovanni)
- Italian: Riveduta Bible (1927) (riveduta)
- Kabyle: NT (kabyle)
- Korean (korean)
- Latin: Nova Vulgata (newvulgate)
- Latin: Vulgata Clementina (vulgate)
- Latvian New Testament (latvian)
- Lithuanian (lithuanian)
- Manx Gaelic (manxgaelic)
- Myanmar/Burmese: Judson (1835) (judson)
- Norwegian: Det Norsk Bibelselskap (1930) (bibelselskap)
- Portuguese: Almeida Atualizada (almeida)
- Romanian: Cornilescu (cornilescu)
- Russian: Makarij Translation (Pentateuch) (1825) (makarij)
- Russian: Synodal Translation (1876) (synodal)
- Russian: Victor Zhuromsky NT (zhuromsky)
- Scots Gaelic (Gospel of Mark) (scotsgaelic)
- Spanish: Reina Valera (1909) (rv1909)
- Spanish: Reina Valera NT (1858) (rv1858)
- Spanish: Sagradas Escrituras (1569) (sagradas)
- Swedish (1917) (swedish)
- Tagalog: Ang Dating Biblia (1905) (tagalog)
- Tamajaq Portions (tamajaq)
- Thai: from KJV (thai)
- Turkish (turkish)
- Turkish: NT (1987, 1994) (turkish)
- Ukrainian: NT (P.Kulish, 1871) (ukranian)
- Uma NT (uma)
- Vietnamese (1934) (vietnamese)
- Wolof NT (wolof)
- Xhosa (xhosa)
9 October, 2009
Great service! I found a minor problem. When digging around in the YLT Exodus, I noticed the 'oddball quotes' were missing. This may extend to more content; I haven't checked. I have goofed around with these before and converted them to regular quotes just for visibility purposes. Anyway, I may be able to give you a start on identifying them.
Try dec96 hex60 oct140 html` or alt096 on your keyboard for `
Hope this helps.
23 August, 2009
This is fantastic news and greatly appreciated. Just this week we were working on adding a function into the tinymce editor so that a user could insert verses into their articles. So far we had only added the kjv to our database, but having an api available with this many choices will be much better.
11 September, 2010
16 November, 2010
31 December, 2010
31 December, 2010
the book of JD is not complete on arabic: http://api.preachingcentral.co.....th-vandyke
2 March, 2012
Hi, do the versions work for this? I'm trying them out and getting no version changes.
Here's what it looks like: http://labs.bible.org/api/?pas.....8;type=xml
I don't get the kjv, just the default.
What am I doing wrong?