This forum is now read-only. Support is provided at https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/sermon-browser/
14 December, 2005
I'm creating this topic to keep you updated on progress for SermonBrowser 2.0, and to let you know about new features as they're coded. I'm hoping SermonBrowser 2.0 will be released before the end of the year, hopefully sooner.
Here are some of the improvements that have already been coded:
- All data is stored as Custom Post Types rather than in special database tables, which means:
- Pretty permalinks are now standard (www.mychurch.com/sermons/the-lords-prayer instead of http://www.mychurch.com?sermon_id=356).
- Images can be attached to sermons, series, preachers and even services (you could only attach images to preachers in v1).
- All description (sermon, preacher, series and service) fields now support the TinyMCE editor so you can easily add rich text, not just plain text.
- When you delete a sermon/preacher/series/service it goes into trash so you can restore it if you made a mistake.
- Users can comment on sermons (if you let them)
- Plugins that add things such as Facebook Like, or Tweet buttons should work on sermons.
- You can use a multilingual plugin like WPML and display different sermons depending on which language is chosen.
- The default media player is now MediaElements.js (supports both audio and video, and is fully compatible with iOS devices), although you can still choose alternatives.
- Bible passages are entered more naturally (you just type "John 3, 4:1-16" instead of using the dropdown menus).
- Files can be uploaded using the WordPress built in uploader, and will appear in the media library.
Here's what I'm working on now:
At the moment, all the work is done on editing sermons, series, preachers and services. I'm now working on the frontend, including the following improvements:
- Readers can choose their own Bible version (if you let them)
- More Bible versions available (this will include several non-English public domain Bibles, plus the Amplified Bible, Contemporary English Version, Good News Bible, and NASB).
- Optionally, more detail about preachers, series and services on each sermon page, which readers can minimise if they wish.
- A fresher template.
The intention is to finish the frontend by the end of the month (although that's an ambitious target), and then begin work on code to import sermons from the existing version of SermonBrowser 1.0. Once the import code is written (mid-October?) I'll probably make an alpha build available for testing.
Here's what's still to come:
- Initial design (completed 18 August)
- Admin Pages (completed 15 Sep)
- Front End
- v1 import
- Options page
- Files Page
- Documentation and video tutorials
This thread is locked, if you wish to comment on version 2, please use this thread.
Most Users Ever Online: 381
Currently Browsing this Page:
Rich Brown: 358
Matt Schlueter: 93
Don Johnson: 65
Guest Posters: 7
Newest Members:marktest, deatles50, ValeriaGoodriz, dapedPup, oapedPup, Margarettoimb
Moderators: Ben Miller: 1628
Administrators: Mark Barnes: 435