Forum

This forum is now read-only. Support is provided at https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/sermon-browser/

Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Display SB version; Display page number list i.e.: 1,2,3, ; lineal look in template
19 February, 2013
8:22 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

http://churchofourlord.org/wor.....e-sermons/

1.  I wonder if it is possible to display the SB version right after "Powered by Sermon Browser"?

2.  Is it possible and if so how would one display the page numbers i.e. 1,2,3,etc.

3.  Is it possible and if so how could I get one line with the available options something like the below and using a specific sermon for the example - http://churchofourlord.org/wor.....rmon_id=29

PDF; Audio Player MP3; Download; different video formats/players i.e.: Windows Media Player; Quicktime

Notes: I'm supplying the "Alternate Video Link" because one of our pastors is a techno phobe; and I'm displaying the scripture references in the "description" area so we can use eBible.com

Great Plugin and I'm delighted to see the expertise in this forum and the news (to me) that Mark B. is working on a new version.

Suggestion for the new version .... option for a sub-title please and option to make links open in new browser window.

Lastly, thank you in advance for any solutions/suggestions regarding my post.

John Vickers, Church of Our Lord, Victoria, BC, CA
Customized Sermon Browser vs. 0.45.12 on WordPress 4.1

19 February, 2013
11:19 pm
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 1628

John,

I'll try to answer these one at a time.

1. Yes, you can display the SB version number after the "Powered by Sermon Browser" credit link.  However, I'm not sure what the purpose of doing that would be.  You would have to make a change to the plugin code to do it, and the change would likely be lost if you upgraded to a new version in the future.  Having said that, this is how you do it.

It requires a change to the /wp-content/plugins/sermon-browser/sb-includes/dictionary.php file.

Before editing, make sure you backup the file, just in case you make a mistake.

dictionary.php is a relatively short file, and it has two functions in it.  The first one, sb_search_results_dictionary( ), defines all of the template tags that you can use in the Search Results template.  The second one, sb_sermon_page_dictionary( ), defines the Single Sermon Page template tags.  We are going to add a new template tag to both functions.

At the end of the sb_search_results_dictionary( ) function, after the last template tag line that you have, add the following line:

http://pastebin.com/8atMGwyQ

Now add the same line to the end of the sb_sermon_page_dictionary( ) function, after the last template tag line that you have.

After you make any changes to dictionary.php, you need to go to the Sermon Browser Templates (Sermons, Templates) and click the Save button.  This loads the new definitions from dictionary.php into Sermon Browser.

Next, you'll need to change your templates to use the new template tag.  In both your Search Results template and your Sermon Page template, you'll find a "creditlink" template tag toward the bottom.  Replace that template tag with a "creditlink_versionnum" template tag.  Then hit the Save button.

That should do it.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Ben Miller, Pathways Church, Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Read the new FAQ, last updated 11/21/2013
Announcing version 0.45.12

20 February, 2013
3:39 am
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

Next question:

2. I don't know if you realize this, John, but the Next Page link on your site doesn't work.  When you click on Next Page, you are still shown page 1 of the sermons.  This is a known bug, and there is a fix for it here:

https://www.sermonbrowser.com/f.....e-sermons/

Get that taken care of, and after you have that working, I'll see if I can come up with some code for a new template tag for you that will display the page number (which I think is a great idea).

Let me know if you have any questions or you have any trouble with that fix.

20 February, 2013
3:45 am
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

Followup: Looking at your site closer, I see that you've attempted to put the fix in, but I think you've got some errors in your code.  Let me know if you need some help looking at it.

20 February, 2013
3:48 am
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

Next:

3. I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you are describing here.  Could you explain further what you are looking for?

20 February, 2013
3:58 am
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said
Followup: Looking at your site closer, I see that you've attempted to put the fix in, but I think you've got some errors in your code.  Let me know if you need some help looking at it.

Funny I did apply the fix and this was wortking perfectly for me earlier today Ben. Now I've dumped the cache ... at your convenience see if it is working correctly now please and thank you.

20 February, 2013
4:13 am
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said
Next:

3. I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you are describing here.  Could you explain further what you are looking for?

I quite understand, let me try again.   I think it would look better if the attachments to a sermon i.e. sermon text, sermon slide show, audio player, etc. were arranged in a horizontal or linear display. In otherwords all in one hoizontal line, left to right, not centered.

in our case while all sermons come to me as Word docs I convert all to .PDF. Try to imagine a single horizontal under the title under the description block or above I don't care actually in which you'd see ....

{L-R} the PDF or Doc icon/link ; the audio player (non animated); Download link; the slide show; the Alternate Video Link; and possibly one day another alternate video link representing an additional format such as .mov.

I hope the above is clearer ;-)  

20 February, 2013
12:34 pm
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

ddhservices said

Ben Miller said

Funny I did apply the fix and this was wortking perfectly for me earlier today Ben. Now I've dumped the cache ... at your convenience see if it is working correctly now please and thank you.

I'm still having trouble with your site.  Could you try deactivating W3 Total Cache?

20 February, 2013
3:57 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said

I'm still having trouble with your site.  Could you try deactivating W3 Total Cache?

If we can agree upon a block of time for it to be deactivated then yes I would agree to that.  Specifically what trouble are you having with the site ... I'd like to know.

20 February, 2013
4:15 pm
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

Looking at it now, it looks like your cache has finally caught up with your changes.  However, you still have a typo in the changes you made.  Here is how you see it:

Go to your Sermon page and hover over the "Next Page" link.  You'll see that the link ends in "?pagenum=2".  Click on the Next Page link.

Now you are on Page 2.  Hover over the "Previous Page" link, and you'll see that the link ends in "?pagnume=1" (note the typo error).  Now go back over to the right side of the screen and click on "Next Page".

Now you are on Page 3.  If you now click on the "Previous Page" link (which has the typo error), Page 1 will be displayed instead of Page 2, due to the error.

After you fix the error, you might have trouble seeing your changes, because you have W3 Total Cache activated.

20 February, 2013
6:07 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said

Now you are on Page 2.  Hover over the "Previous Page" link, and you'll see that the link ends in "?pagnume=1" (note the typo error). 

Fixed Ben and I saw the changes immediately without flushing the W3TC cache. However, I've flushed the cache just for you :-)

20 February, 2013
6:10 pm
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

John, now on the Previous Page link you have "pagnum", and it should be "pagenum".  Try again.  :)

20 February, 2013
6:13 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

ddhservices said

Ben Miller said

20 February, 2013
6:15 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said

Could you try deactivating W3 Total Cache?

It's deactivated now Ben.

20 February, 2013
6:20 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said
John, now on the Previous Page link you have "pagnum", and it should be "pagenum".  Try again.  :)

What!  In a reply above you said the exact opposite so I found the error where it said "pagenume" and I changed it to "pagenum".

20 February, 2013
6:29 pm
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

ddhservices said

Ben Miller said

What!  In a reply above you said the exact opposite so I found the error where it said "pagenume" and I changed it to "pagenum".

John, look carefully at ALL the letters.

Originally, you had "pagnume".

You then changed it to "pagnum".

It needs to be "pagenum".

In any case, it looks like you've fixed it now, so no worries.  Thank you for also deactivating W3 Total Cache, that might explain the confusion between the fixes you made and the fixes I was able to see.  Your site also seems to be loading faster for me, also.  After we get this all figured out, you might want to test your site with and without W3 Total Cache, just to see if it is really speeding up your site or not.

I'll be sending you instructions shortly on how to display the Page number on your site.

20 February, 2013
6:38 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said

After we get this all figured out, you might want to test your site with and without W3 Total Cache, just to see if it is really speeding up your site or not.

I have Ben, before I really went with W3TC I tested extensively. With W3TC the site loads 1.5 - 2.0 seconds faster for me and for many others whom I asked to test it for me. Right at the bottom of the page you will see "Page loaded: 972 queries in 3.747 seconds." or what ever the values are for you. Typical reload speeds are 1.5 - 1.8 secs.

I've also used CloudFlare ... now that experience was a nightmare.  Anyway the hosting company that hosts my hosting company requires that any and every WordPress site must run a cache.

I'll be sending you instructions shortly on how to display the Page number on your site.

Thank you!

20 February, 2013
7:08 pm
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

To add the Page number to your Sermon Browser site:

We will create a new template tag that displays the current page number.  This requires a change to the /wp-content/plugins/sermon-browser/sb-includes/dictionary.php file.

Before editing, make sure you backup the file, just in case you make a mistake.

Since the page number only makes sense in the context of the Search Results page, we will only be adding the new template tag to the sb_search_results_dictionary( ) function.

At the end of the sb_search_results_dictionary( ) function, after the last template tag line that you have, add the following line:

http://pastebin.com/mTtRYEb0

After you make any changes to dictionary.php, you need to go to the Sermon Browser Templates (Sermons, Templates) and click the Save button.  This loads the new definitions from dictionary.php into Sermon Browser.

Next, you'll need to change your Search Results template to use the new template tag.  Somewhere in your Search Results template, add something like this:

<p>Page {pagenumber}</p>

(Note: Template tags use square brackets, but here in the forum I type them with curly braces { }, because the forum software doesn't always handle square brackets well.  Use square brackets in your template.)

Then hit the Save button.

If you have any questions or you run into any trouble, please let me know.

A note for anyone else that might be reading this: The template tag code here will only work if you have applied the "Next Page" fix described in this topic.

20 February, 2013
8:46 pm
ddhservices
Saanichton, BC, CA
Enthusiast
Members

Ben Miller said
To add the Page number to your Sermon Browser site:

{snip}

http://pastebin.com/mTtRYEb0

I did this, copy and paste.

I now see this ... Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' in /home/dd3ndh7/public_html/churchofourlord.org/wp-content/plugins/sermon-browser/sb-includes/dictionary.php on line 34

If you have any questions or you run into any trouble, please let me know.

Ok I'm letting you know ^^^^

20 February, 2013
8:49 pm
Ben Miller
Appleton, WI, USA
Members

Moderators

I'd like to see your dictionary.php file, as it is right now.  To send this, please copy all of the text from dictionary.php.  Then go to http://pastebin.com and paste the text into the box there.  Hit the Submit button.  You will then be taken to a new page with your dictionary.php text on it.  Please post the address of that page here, so I can take a look.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 381
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Rich Brown: 358
Matt Schlueter: 93